Multi Alarm GB at Bristol’s Central Library
In 1613 Robert Redwood gave Bristol Corporation his lodge in the Marsh (now King Street) for use as a library; and Dr. Tobias Matthew, Bristolian-born Archbishop of York, donated the core of a book collection. It was the second earliest public library in England. The lodge was rebuilt c.1740 but by 1900 was wholly inadequate. In 1901 Vincent Stuckey Lean bequeathed £50,000 for a new building.
Cheek by jowl with the Norman Abbey Gatehouse, the design by Charles Holden, at just 27, is one of the masterpieces of the early Modern Movement. The Library has been recently refurbished to meet the needs of customers in the twenty first century.
Improvements include new accessible counters designed to meet the needs of wheelchair users, new, fully flexible shelving system offering improved stock storage and display at an accessible height, an induction loop system at each service counter to meet the needs of those with a hearing impairment and a replacement lighting system help those with a visual impairment.
Multi Alarm GB provide fire detection for the Central Library using a 4-loop IFAX control panel with 260 addressable devices. The system was designed in collaboration with English Heritage.